Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Lucky Lady

For Chris and his cohorts, it was called Operation V Day. For me, it was the holiday I detest more than any other. Valentine’s Day is equally as disgusting as Sweetest Day. Both are designed for couples to spend ridiculous amounts of money on each other and for single folks to feel absolutely rotten about themselves. I have spent far too many of these holidays on the latter end…although I do recall actually breaking up with a few gentlemen on that oh so special February 14th occasion thereby making myself part of the single crowd.

Every since last year, Valentine’s Day has had a slightly different meaning for me. Valentine’s Day 2005 was the day I started dating Chris and realized that he was the man I was going to marry. I even recall calling my mom the next day and telling her just that.

On this special day, Chris and I had decided not to do anything for one another as I had already gotten him a small gift the week prior and he had made me dinner over the weekend. The short of it: Chris changed his mind. The long of it: You are going to love this…

I walked out to my car and inside was a single red rose, a Hallmark card, and a digital recorder. I listened to the recorder and he explained why this day was special to him and that I was starting a scavenger hunt. I had to listen to each clue one by one and guess where I was supposed to go. The first clue led me to the Build-A-Bear store where Chris had prepared a Chicago Bears bear for me. (I’m a die-hard fan.) The girls at the counter couldn’t get over how much fun Chris was to work with and how excited they were with what he had planned for the evening as they had begged him to share what his other clues were.

In the next clue, I was informed to lower my visor and a coupon for a free car wash fell out. To truly understand how much I appreciated this, you need to realize that when I was recently in a car accident and was asked by my insurance company the color of my vehicle, I promptly replied, “It is the color of mud.” Sad but true. Now it is sparkly brown. :)

Next I was told to go to our favorite jewelry store. Mind you that it isn’t our favorite because of their beautiful jewelry but for their scrumptious, soft, and absolutely delicious cookies. I was told to go in and ask for someone who knew me. Not knowing anyone who might know me, I found three employees and explained what I needed. They all laughed, called to other employees, and I soon found a crowd of company employees around saying that I had finally arrived. Apparently Chris had made quite the impression here as well. They handed me a company bag with a red bow on top. I opened it and inside was a handful of their cookies wrapped in plastic wrap with a bow around it. It was creative, adorable, and had everyone laughing.

I drove home and there was Chris with my favorite meal from our favorite Chinese take out place. After eating, giving him what now looked to be quite the pathetic Valentine’s Day card I made from construction paper, we were about ready to turn in for bed. As what seemed to be an after thought, Chris pulled the drawer of the coffee table out and handed me a box from the jewelry store I had previously visited. Inside was an absolutely beautiful necklace with diamonds and a ruby, my birthstone.

Chris out did him self. He is quite possibly the most thoughtful, creative, and loving individual I have ever met. And somehow I have the privilege to be his wife.

He also made me look like an absolute schmo in the process but I will take it. Paybacks will be fun! I can’t wait to get started…

1 comment:

Grammie Jan said...

What a wonderful surprise! I thought Christopher outdid himself last year -- and yes, I have your day-after-Valentine's-Day-conversation about Chris last year not only engraved in my brain, but also in my journal! I also noted in my journal a year ago yesterday that I wondered what last year would bring....it brought me a son and a wonderfully happy daughter...what more can any mother ask for?