Monday, July 03, 2006


2006 Formula One race in Indianapolis, Indiana. This is my part time job. It has gotten much more part time the last few years. I used to do a lot of modeling when I had a job that was very flexible. It is impossible to live in Indiana and be a full time model so all models are part time which means squeezing it into the already busy daily routine. Modeling means the phone rings and if I want a job, I need to be available during the work day usually one or two days later. It is almost impossible to plan around with a full time job and evening or weekend jobs are almost non-existent.

The only modeling I will do this year took place this past weekend. I am one of fifty girls who represent the United Sates at the Formula One, aka: United States Grand Prix. It is always a fun and exciting time. We are known as the grid girls and participate in the opening ceremonies at the race track. We help create the grids that each driver starts the race from. There are two girls at each grid. One of us hold the actual grid sign for the driver. The other girl holds the flag of the country the driver is from. I never said it was a hard job but it is a very fun job. The Formula One race is unlike any other race in the country. The elite, frequently the most wealthy from around the world, come to this race. Huge amounts of money are spent and if I am lucky, one of my wealthy friends takes Chris and me out. This year Chris already had plans so another girlfriend and I spent the race in a very nice suite. It was a great view to see the race plus they had free food and drinks. Poor social workers are always up for free food and drinks.

The other fun part to the weekend are the parties we are invited to. Red Bull is usually the sponsor and being one of the grid girls, we get an invite to each private party that Red Bull throws. Last year Chris and I got to rub shoulders with one of the Ferrari drivers...no not Schumacher. The other perk to the parties is people watching which truly should be a sport in and of itself. The outfits, the hair, the jewelry...all is great fun to watch.

But the event for this year has come to a close. I will wait eagerly for my check from my modeling agency so I can go on a wild spending spree for something exotic like a water softener or towel rods for the bathroom. The possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

Grammie Jan said...

Cute picture, sweetie! I've got it on my webshots....

Mama