Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Food diary

My mom and I have started to keep one another accountable for the food we consume. We tried it before but gave up after about two weeks. It is helpful because I know I will have to tell her what I eat and also because it is a great way to stay connected.

I just finished e-mailing my mom and before I hit send, I read to Chris what I had written because...well, because I was sort of proud. Self control isn't my strong suit. In fact, it is probably what I struggle with the most. But tonight, I was successful. No overeating. This is what I was thinking about when I read my food list to Chris. Apparently it wasn't what he was thinking about. His comment to my list: "Not exactly a prime example of the food pyramid." I couldn't help but laugh as I reviewed what I had eaten before the world wide web whisked away my e-mail to Chicago for my mom to read.

Breakfast: oatmeal (Pretty good start I would say. Heart healthy.)
Snack: almonds, cashews, cranberries (Lots of good protein in those almonds.)
Lunch: worked through lunch (Those darn mentally ill children always having a crisis at lunch time.)
Snack: jello with apple sauce (Sugar free jello, unsweetened applesauce. Very tasty. Will give recipe if interested)
Snack: peanuts with a few candy corn (Tastes like a candy bar and not too unhealthy if eaten in small amounts.)
Dinner: heart healthy pancakes with no butter and sugar free syrup (Chris makes the best pancakes.)
Snack: 90 calorie granola bar (I had oatmeal raisin so I worked in more fruit for the day.)
Dessert: 300 calorie white chocolate hot cocoa
small slice of chocolate cake (No redeeming qualities in my dessert other than portion control.)

Admittedly my list wouldn't win any awards from FDA but it is a small victory in terms of self control. I wonder how my mom did...?

1 comment:

Grammie Jan said...

She's not telling.

She went to a new Italian restaurant for lunch which had a buffet. Suffice it to say that the bread was delicious. Redeeming factor? Dipped in olive oil (heart healthy).

Fortunately, there is always tomorrow.