Sunday, January 13, 2008

Running

There are three different kinds of runs.

There is the "I need to lose weight" run. Those are generally anguish filled and can be hard to maintain motivation to complete the run.

There is the "Gee it is lovely outside and I really want to get some fresh air" run. Those can be nice on 70 degree spring days when the birds are chirping.

Then there is the "I'm doing this for my mental health" run. For me, those are the best. The speed, distance, and length of time spend running are all completely up to you. I suppose so are the "Gee it is lovely outside" runs but the mental health runs are special.

To be outside and focus on the sound of your feet hitting the pavement...
To think about everything or nothing...
To simply be...

Tonight I went on a mental health run. It was 32 degrees outside and there were hardly any cars the road let alone runners. It was snowing and I could see my breath. It was calming, soothing.

It was perfect.

No comments: