Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Annoyed

Yup. You heard right. I'm annoyed. A first for me I'm sure. Ok, well maybe not but moving along with the story... In the state of Indiana, for a social worker to become clinically licensed, they have to have 3 years of supervised social work experience post grad school. Then they have to obtain oodles of paperwork turned in at the Indiana licensing agency and pray it isn't lost (which happened to one of my friends.) Once the board reviews the application, we have wait for a letter to confirm our approval before we can register for the exam. Once we register, we have to wait for another letter so we can choose a date and time for the exam. And then we study, and study, and study, and study, because the pass rate in Indiana isn't so hot. So either Indiana has really dumb social workers or the test is stinkin hard. I think it is a combo of the two. Anyway...

I turned in my application. They never sent me an approval letter and after a month had passed I called and was informed I was one month short of supervision hours and needed to submit another form. Gee, thanks for letting me know. I re-submitted the paperwork and finally received my approval letter. Then I got on-line and registered for the exam, of course paying for the exam and study materials. I received an e-mail two days later stating my registration was denied. Apparently the licensing agency forgot to send the registration people my name. Oops. Oh, and thanks for the apology.

I was going to call the registration people back knowing they now had my name when it dawned on me that they had my payment already which the bank said was pending. When I called I was informed that of course I wouldn't be billed twice, that they did need a credit card number again for me to re-register for the exam, and (not quite in these words) that I was stupid. Apparently she isn't a social worker since we are all so nice and cheerful all the time. She said that since my registration was denied that the payment wouldn't go through and "hadn't I checked my bank today?" No I hadn't because I checked it yesterday and was at that moment sitting in a car waiting for a veteran to get out of the grocery store.

So as it stands, my payment (two days later) is still pending, I'm still not registered for this stupid exam that will suck to take, and the clock is ticking. I have one year from my date of eligibility (early June) to pass the exam before I am canned at my job. So yeah, I'm a little annoyed.

Thanks for letting me vent.

4 comments:

RCO said...

Yes, I guess you ARE a little perturbed!!! :o( Let us know when everything gets cleared up. :o) I hope that venting helped and that you didn't take it out on Chris or the cat. ;o)

Grammie Jan said...

Yikes! I would be annoyed too. It looks as though it is our government at work yet again.

Gotta love these bureaucratic types!

Hugs....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ugh! I feel your pain. I got the run around too. They denied me at first too and said I had to send in the syllabus for my DSM class to make sure it met the criteria. Thank God I had it.