Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Suburbia

Early evening this past Sunday was the epitome of suburbia perfection. Not that I'm saying this can't happen any place other than in the suburbs or that the suburbs are perfect. Goodness knows I'm a city girl. However, I was at my house when this happened and being that my house, The Dumpling, as named by my mom, is where this occurred, it is henceforth suburbia perfection.

Chris and I had just finished a run/walk (more walk than run) when we saw our neighbor, Wayne, putting together his new light post. Chris decided to help out so after realizing I was more of an annoyance than assistance, I went home and relaxed on the hammock. I was lying there thinking how blessed I was to be in my hammock. I was on my big deck outside of my beautiful house. Not only that but I had the luxury of relaxing. My job doesn't bleed over into my weekends and if I can stay focused on God, I can usually leave my thoughts of work at work. That day the sky was blue with just a few clouds in the sky. The breeze was blowing and the temperature was perfect. I closed my eyes and listened. I could hear the neighborhood kids playing. In the distance I heard the ice cream truck playing its music. The kids shrieked in delight and took off running toward the sound of the music. I leaned over in my hammock and watched the kids run, ride their bike, and roller skate to the corner as the ice cream truck pulled up. Little boys a few streets over trickled into the line that had formed next to the ice cream truck. As each child surrendered their money and received their treat, they slowly walked towards their house with a smile on their face.

I turned back in my hammock and closed my eyes. Ah, suburbia perfection.

No comments: