Thursday, July 19, 2007

It's my birthday today

And the question of the day is: Are we supposed to say, "It's my birthday today." Or do we say nothing? As kids it was easy. We simply announced to everyone we saw that it was our birthday and proudly shared our new and oh so important age. As a kid it felt great to hear people tell me happy birthday. So why does it seem so weird to say it to people now that I am an adult? It still feels good when people tell me happy birthday but it seems awkward to be the person informing them of my birthday. It's almost like I am asking them to say or do something nice for me.

I went to the gym this afternoon and decided to announce that it was my birthday with the group of friends I attend a weight training class with. They were excited and told me happy birthday but they were also disappointed because I hadn't told them earlier and given them time to plan something.

So again, what is birthday etiquette? To tell or not to tell. That is the question.

3 comments:

CuzNuz Ruth said...

Ah, start telling everyone a week, two weeks... before. That's what a former co-worker always did. And she expected something to commemorate it. We always laughed at her but didn't dare ignore her hints. Actually, don't know myself what is etiquette.

Torrey, half of the MC said...

Thanks for the tip!

Grammie Jan said...

Oh honey, absolutely tell EVERYONE it is your birthday. Expect presents. Expect felicitations. Expect money. (Don't be surprised if you don't get any money).... Celebrate!!!! This is the DAY you were BORN!! (To the 1812 Overture, I might remind you....I was there!! I remember! It was a celebration!!! YAY!!!)

Ahhh yes, birthdays are a wonderful thing, no matter how young, old, or middleaged you are. Go for it -- with GUSTO!

I love you -- and I, of all people, remember your birth day the best.